Key Strategy: Useful Appraisals
- Designing a New Approach
- Appraisal and Development Cycle
- Campus Spotlights
- Resources for Teachers and Appraisers
- End of Year Survey on the Teacher Appraisal and Development System
- Year One Summary Report
HISD is committed to the success of each one of its 203,000 students, which means every HISD teacher receives the individualized feedback and support necessary to set students up for success. HISD’s new teacher appraisal and development system is an important step toward helping teachers advance their practice and achieving our goal of placing an effective teacher in every HISD classroom.
- Arne Duncan,
U.S. Secretary of Education
- HISD hired 130 new Teacher Development Specialists (TDS) to provide more individualized support to teachers.
- All HISD teachers now have individualized development plans.
- Teachers had at least five face-to-face opportunities to reflect on their practice with their appraiser.
- Appraisers and TDS conducted over 57,000 total observations in 2011-12, all followed by feedback.
- HISD designed a new appraisal and development system with input from teachers, administrators, parents, and community members.
- HISD trained 800 appraisers and 11,000 teachers on the new appraisal and development system.
- The Professional Support and Development Department was restructured to provide a variety of ongoing, job-embedded development opportunities that are tailored to teachers’ specific professional needs.
- HISD created the role of the Teacher Development Specialist (TDS), an experienced educator who partners with teachers to support their continuous growth and development through observations, feedback, and coaching.