Nothing is more critical to student success than the teacher in his or her classroom. That’s why HISD launched the Effective Teachers Initiative (ETI), a multi-year program devoted to the goal of having an effective teacher in every HISD classroom so that every HISD student is set up for success.
- Michael Casserly, Executive Director, Council of Great City Schools
Four key strategies for achieving our vision of an effective teacher in every classroom:
- Smart recruitment and staffing: Attracting and hiring the best teachers from across the state and across the country to teach in HISD.
- Useful appraisals: Providing teachers with regular, valuable feedback aligned with HISD’s standards for effective teaching—and providing principals with the information they need to build the strongest team of teachers for their school.
- Individualized support: Giving teachers the kind of support they need to do their best work.
- New career pathways and differentiated compensation: Recognizing, retaining, and rewarding our most effective teachers.